Dog Coat





I was determined to have a coat for my dog. We walk in all weather and she does not have a whole lot of fur on her underside. I wanted something warm and waterproof. I found the perfect coat at Pet Edge. Even though it was a VERY good price, my husband lovingly reminded me that our budget does not have a "dog apparel" line item! So I did what any smart mom would do. I set out to make my own.


I had some fun with a picnic blanket and a FREE pattern from the Circle of Crafters website. In all, the coat cost me about $2.50 and a few hours (spread over two days) to make. I had to buy some more Velcro, but I already had everything else! I had purchased the reflective tape in the fall to sew on all of our coats. I love reflective tape! I was very happy with the value and service that I got from Identi-Tape Inc. I purchased sew-on reflective tape from them online.

You can hardly tell that this cozy coat used to be a picnic blanket. It is quilted for warmth and has been treated with waterproofing spray for those early morning hurricane walks. Naturally, it is reversible: One side revealing a traditional tartan, the other a bold blue vinyl with an urban edge. Practicality has not been lost to fashion, as this blanket coat has a pocket on each side, appliqued with a charming heart. The design also puts safety first with a reflective strip on the back of the coat.

Like all pieces from my workshop it is one-of-a-kind and no, Mom, I cannot take orders.

Thanks for humoring me!

Comments

John Umland said…
nice work dear, i love you
Anonymous said…
Honey looks splendid! You are one fine and thrifty canine fashion designer. Good job!
Janet Rubin

Popular Posts