Time and Tide Wait for No Man (or Woman)

Ironically, an old friend and smart mom asked me for some tips on time management. I still have a lot to learn in that department, but here are some tricks that keep me somewhat sane.

Use a calendar. We have a big family calendar on our fridge and every event goes on it. That way any of us can look at the calendar and see where we are supposed to be. We write in pencil so that we can reschedule events and still easily read the calendar!

Keep information at your finger tips. I use a PDA which I try hard to keep current with events, addresses and phone numbers. That way when I am out and about I can call people or schedule things. A Day Timer or binder would work just as well.

Routines! This saves a lot of time and gets the necessary things done. Routines should start out very simple and be built as they become habit. With a routine, we don’t have to think about what we need to do next. We just do it. This works great for the kids. Use a checklist when first establishing your routines.

Break every task into small steps. These baby steps can be delegated to your children, and/or done here and there throughout the day. Example: Setting the table. Toddlers can put the spoons and napkins on the table. Older kids the other silverware and salad dressings, etc. Same with our projects. I don’t have three hours to hyperfocus on my project. But I have five minutes. I can write a list of what I need for the project. The next time I have five minutes I can run around the house and gather the materials. The next time, I can do just the first step of the project, and so on.

Keep it simple. Make sure the most important part of the task is done. I have wasted a lot of time trying to make things perfect. I am learning to let a lot of things go. I need my children and husband to help me and of course they are not going to do everything the way that I would do it. I have to let it go! As long as the task gets done, I try not to sweat it if the silverware is crooked or the blankets on the bed don’t match.

Helpful resources:
flylady.net
More Hours in my Day with Emilie Barnes

Comments

batgirl said…
Wonderful advice, Karla!

Popular Posts