Rancho Poncho in a Jiffy!

Last winter I made my daughters purple fleece ponchos. I even sewed a fuzzy scarf around the neck opening of one, so it has a cozy collar. (I made one for myself, too, fuzzy collar included. Boy, is it warm on a cold winter day!)

Naturally, my son wanted a poncho, too. What to do? I didn’t really want to make him a purple fuzzy poncho. Then again, men in Latin America have been wearing these blankets for years. He and I picked out an inexpensive fleece blanket ($3.00!) in loden green. Last night I whipped up this poncho in about five minutes.

Here's what to do:

Cut blanket in half the short way.
Take one half and fold it in half the short way again. This is the basic size and shape your finished poncho will take.

Fold it in half again, the long way this time. Cut a pie shaped wedge (quarter circle) out of the top corner where all the folds are. This will be the head hole!

You can stop right there, or you can add a few finishing touches. I rounded the square corner from the initial cut to match the “untouched” corner. I also want to blanket stitch my rounded corner and the neck, so the edges look somewhat uniform.

My son, the next Juan Valdez!

Comments

batgirl said…
Good job, Martha! Hey, you should have a picture of Gabe modeling the new get-up.
Karla said…
Who you callin' Martha?

I think I should protect my son's identity so that I do not have to pay for therapy later on.
batgirl said…
mmm, good point. I'll see him soon enough.
Plush Duck said…
Another poncho idea from my mother, who made one for me during college (the north end of the Minnesota State University library was pretty chilly in the winter):

- fold the fabric into a triangle
- cut the "points" off the "arms"
- add knitted cuffs
- cut the "neck" the same as on the square poncho
- add a knitted "turtleneck"

My poncho was brown wool plaid with fringed edges (hey, it was 1980). The cuffs were brown knit fabric. The turtleneck was made from the same fabric as the cuffs. It was quite toasty, but I would guess that fleece is warmer. Great job, Smart Mom!
Karla said…
Thanks for your comment, Plush Duck. You and your mom are definitely Minnesota smart moms!

I like your poncho!Do you still have it??
John Umland said…
are you married? i want to marry you...
Karla said…
And I want to marry you! Wait, I already did. Yay!
That's great ! So easy :)
Deborah
Karla said…
Thanks for the comment. Have fun if you make one!

Popular Posts