Chicken Popeye

Over the years I have had the privilege of bringing meals to folks to help lighten their load in the kitchen. Usually it is because they have just had a baby, but sometimes I have brought meals to people who have just had surgery.

Loving efficiency, I looked for a recipe that had everything in one pot: Veggies for vitamins, meat for protein and starch for energy. As a result, for years now I have hacked a deep dish tuna pie recipe and made it into chicken pot pie! To my surprise, it is a hit. My husband has overheard new moms raving about it and a couple people have asked me for the recipe. Of course, I do not really have a recipe. Enter the good folks at Parenting Magazine who somehow put together the actual recipe (more or less) for what I have been swaddling in foil and delivering all this time!

Chicken Pot Pie

2 skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
10.75-oz. can cream of chicken soup
10.5-oz. jar chicken gravy
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
1 cup frozen chopped onions
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese
1 Janet’s amazing pie crust OR refrigerated quick and dirty pie crust. You know the ones.

In a bowl, combine all ingredients except the pie crust. Pour into 8- or 9-inch round foil pan. Place pie crust on top and tuck edges under. Cut steam vents in crust. Cover with foil and freeze until ready to use OR bake, covered, at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, then uncovered for 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

To bake frozen pot pie:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place pie on a baking sheet and bake, covered, for 1 HOUR. Uncover and continue baking until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes more.

Comments

Popular Posts