Laundry and Shakespeare

Sometimes when I am doing laundry I feel like Lady Macbeth: “Out, damn spot!” In Lady Macbeth’s case, the stain on her hand was the blood of the person she murdered. It was literally evidence to damn her. In my case, the spot is on a perfectly good shirt, ruined by one mishap with chocolate ice cream. Certainly not as weighty a matter, but infuriating just the same.

All Lady Macbeth had to do was ask God to forgive her. On the other hand, you don’t need to ask for your laundry stains to be expunged. I am going to tell you how to do it!

I lifted this recipe directly from The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn.

The Stain Recipe

Add one cup each of powdered Cascade [or any dishwasher detergent] and Clorox II [or any color-safe bleach] to five gallons of the hottest water to come out or your faucet. Soak several articles overnight, and launder as usual.

This procedure will remove about 90% of the stains that do not come out with normal laundering. I do not use this recipe for delicate fabrics, or fabrics that are not color-fast. It is particularly good for removing food stains.
I use a large plastic bucket with a handle. If you don’t have a five-gallon bucket, use what you have and adjust the recipe (bigger bucket, use more stuff, smaller bucket, use less). It does not have to be exact.

You can even make your stain bucket cute! We used to buy large quantities of laundry detergent in plastic buckets. The price was right, plus we got a nice bucket with a handle and lid to boot. Of course, I have been saving these buckets and using them for myriad things. I finally designated one as a “stain bucket.” I wrapped it with contact paper in colors that go with my décor. Then I used my trusty permanent marker to write “Stains,” in fun lettering, on the contact paper. Now the whole family knows where the stained clothes go!
I just completed a stain load. It is like having brand new clothes!

As the recipe states, this method is great for food stains. I have found ground-in mud to be another matter. Anyone have a smart solution for dirt-stained pants?

Incidentally, the best cure for a blood stain, besides falling on your face and begging God to forgive you, is to put it in cold water as soon as possible.

Comments

batgirl said…
Karla said a bad word!

I'm going to try this. I wash pretty much everything in cold water and the stains don't go away that way!
Karla said…
Janet,

"Damn" by itself refers to God's judgement. We should let him do the judging and not consign this fate to anyone (or anything) ourselves! But I am sure you knew that. :)

Enjoy all your "new" clothes!!

Popular Posts