Existing Little Free Libraries. INFO 298 Special Studies Blog Post 1

Finding Little Free Libraries has been like looking for buried treasure.
I know that I have seen these book exchange boxes around town, but recalling their
exact locations is difficult. Naturally, when looking for buried treasure, one should
refer to the map. I found the map, like most treasure maps, to be helpful in a limited way.
In addition to the official map, I asked local residents if they have noticed any treasure
lying around. This crowd-sourcing approach turned up some additional information,
and created a network of lookouts who can keep me posted on library sightings around Waterford, CT.
I want to know if there are already book boxes in my neighborhood in order to assess
the need for installing an additional one. 



I used the littlefreelibrary.org map feature, and found only four in the town of Waterford.
None of the four are located in the neighborhood of Quaker Hill. Quaker Hill is a village
within the larger town of Waterford, CT and is the area that I have targeted for installing a
Little Free Library box. On the map, I also located a handful of Little Free Libraries in
the neighboring towns of Groton and Norwich. In order to be listed on the
littlefreelibrary.org map, a steward pays a fee of $39.95 to have their Little Free Library
registered. I suspected that good old New England yankee independence might
have resulted in a number of rogue book exchanges that were not registered. How
does one find things that are not listed on the map? Ask the locals.


I reached out to friends and neighbors and asked if they had seen any local
book boxes in their travels. I posted a query on Nextdoor.com, and I emailed
some library-minded friends. Thanks to the enthusiastic response, I learned about ten
additional book exchanges in the area. One of these is indeed located in the target
neighborhood of Quaker Hill. It is an informal book exchange inside the post office. 


By asking around, not only did I gain information about the book boxes, I gained a
crew of people who are supportive of the project. Some have offered to keep their
eyes peeled and inform me of new boxes that they find. One in turn asked her
knitting group to be on the lookout. All want to stay updated on the progress.
X marks the spot!

Comments

Popular Posts