Little Free Library Installation INFO 298 Special Studies

Location, location, location.


We have reached the culmination of my 6-week, 2-credit independent study. According to my timeline, I should be reporting on the grand opening of the brand new Quaker Hill little free library. Instead, I am reminded of the old Yiddish saying, “Mann tracht, un Gott lacht” meaning, “Man plans, and God laughs.” My initial research went quickly, and I received helpful responses from individuals who have established little free libraries of their own. However, the step that makes the little library a reality--finding a location--has been a quagmire. I have found that it takes time to establish communication with property owners, especially in a pandemic atmosphere. The good news is that the local Lions Club is interested in the project. This partnership, combined with the foundation of support that I already have from individual community partners, gives me hope. Although we have not yet installed a free book exchange box in Quaker Hill, we are well on our way. 


The present task is to lock in a location for the little free library. I learned that I had to broaden my thinking about what defines the ideal location. For a long time, I had my heart set on the post office property. It seemed like the perfect, and probably the only, spot for a book box. The post office is a central location that many village residents visit each day. It has adequate parking and offers a buffer from car traffic while still being visible. It is also accessible to foot and bike traffic. 


I was surprised to find that I had to do some deep digging to find out how to contact the postmaster at this location. I found her email address by searching Quaker Hill Post Office 06375 | USPS Hours Phone Number and Location and sent this hand-out to her. Then I followed up by going to the post office in person and chatting with her. Postmaster B. was not optimistic about the availability of the post office property. The federal post office agency leases the property from someone who lives out of state. These factors present additional hoops to jump through. And yet, the postmaster had some good feedback about the project. We discussed other possible locations for the library. I think that the Quaker Hill Little Free Library has gained another supporter! 


In a way, the local post office is already involved in the little free library movement. The only thing in Quaker Hill that I found that comes close to a little free library is in fact an informal book exchange in the post office lobby. I asked the postmaster about it, and about the mini food pantry that has sprung up next to the book exchange. She explained that the lobby is a community space, and she gave a resident permission to set up the book basket. In addition, the annual post office food drive is cancelled this year. The postmaster set up the pantry box herself as a grass-roots alternative to the food drive. Similarly, some little free library stewards are adding free household essentials to their libraries as a way to care for neighbors who are affected by the COVID-19 quarantine. 












Next, I approached the owner of a barber shop that is centrally located in the village. It has a parking lot and sidewalk access. I pointed out that having a library would increase the visibility of her business. Alas, she does not own the property, and so can’t make the decision about installing a library.


My next target was the local fire station. I actually recruited my husband to drop off a letter to the chief a few days ago. You can read the letter here. To my husband’s surprise, the firefighter who answered the door at the fire house is someone that my husband used to work with. These kinds of community connections are what make little free libraries tick. The next step is to call the fire chief and follow up with him. 


Once I realized that I had no choice but to look at other venues for the little free library, more and more options have come to mind. For example, there is a baseball field in the village, and the parking area has a good spot for a little library. There is also a very small village green in Quaker Hill that lends itself to a book box. Connecticut town greens are traditionally used as community spaces, and this one already has a bench. The only drawback to the green is that the car and sidewalk access is limited. Another option is to sleuth out the property owners of the post office land or the barber shop and ask them for permission. My last resort is to use my own property. I dismissed this option at first, because there is no sidewalk near my home. However, there is school property next door. Little library patrons can pull their cars or bikes into the school driveway and then step into my yard for books.


I think that joining forces with the Lions Club will make it easier to secure a location. The club actually planned to install a little library in the village years ago. They dropped the project when they learned that there was a little free library at the elementary school. I explained to the Lions president that the library box at the school is now defunct, and the time is ripe for a new little library. Having a civic group dedicated to finding a location will mean more people who can approach property owners, and a broader network of connections. The Lions meet on July 26 and will discuss the Quaker Hill Little Free Library project at their meeting. I will be in touch with them before and after the meeting in order to share my findings and move the process along. 


Like any good commencement, the end of this course also marks a beginning. I heard back from the Lions Club just as my independent study period wrapped up. A new partnership with this civic organization will jump start the little free library project. As a result of perseverance, networking, and serendipity, I am confident that there will be a little free library in Quaker Hill this summer. 


Comments

Popular Posts