Lent Field Report

It has been eleven days since I gave up chocolate and coffee for Lent. Some people refer to this as fasting. I don't feel that I am fasting. I feel more like I am de-toxing. Jesus said that when we are fasting or praying or doing spiritual discipline we are not supposed to make a spectacle of it or wail and whine. I don't want to make a spectacle of myself, but I think I am learning something.

The first thing I learned is that I am a miserable brat. I knew Sunday would be a special challenge since we have coffee and doughnuts between services. All I think about during church is the coffee and doughnuts. That is also the time that I chat with all my friends. My first reaction was to appeal to the tradition that Sundays are not counted as part of Lent. Sunday is the day of celebrating Jesus' resurrection, so I could celebrate with coffee and chocolate munchkins! I knew that if I caved is so early in the game, however, that it would be all over. Instead, I grit my teeth.

I saw some friends as we arrived at church. I was grumpy and focused on NOT DRINKING COFFEE, so I could barely talk to them. Wasn't that stupid? The point of giving up something is to be more like Jesus. Instead, I was less like him because I was not loving.

I have also learned the truth of this statement: "Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restaining sensual indulgence" (Colossians 2:23). I can't even do it. Forswearing coffee and chocolate is not my new religion. So when friends offer me a cup of coffee, I don't say no. . . But even when I am by myself I don't say no. True confessions: I ate several Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies. I ate a chocolate cupcake. I got a hot chocolate at Dunkin Donuts because their Chai machine was broken.

I also immediately discovered substitutes. I subconsiously thought the lent scheme would help me lose weight. Not to be denied, I quickly formed a Chai habit. I also ate almost a whole sleeve of Girl Scout peanut butter sandwich cookies in one "session." Maybe it is a ploy of the devil that Girl Scout cookies are delivered during lent every year.

All this confirms that I am a wretch in need of a savior. Oh, right. That is what lent is all about, because "the heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it (Jeremiah 17:9)?"

The best part of all this is that while I am researching and struggling and looking for ways to incorporate lent into life, my smart mom friend Janet hands me a book that has done it all already. God has a sense of humor. The book looks great and I just bought it from Amazon for less than a dollar! Thanks Janet! I can't wait to read through this book with my family: Family Celebrations at Easter.

Comments

John Umland said…
why are your dates in another language?
batgirl said…
First of all, please tell jpu that I was really blessed and inspired by his comment. I'm assuming the dates are in German because you are bilingual?

Regarding your post, I'll say, "Amen and Praise the Lord!" Thank God for grace or I'd be goin' down with you into a chocolateless eternity. Thanks for your honesty.
Karla said…
Wir muessen unser Deutsch ueben!

We have to practice our German!

Popular Posts